4 Beiträge zu Orania 'Sehr gute einfache Kantine. Gutes Essen,Preise stimmen. Immer nett und freundlich. Bloß schade das man nicht drausen sitzen kann. In dem südafrikanischen Dorf Orania wollen Afrikaander unter sich bleiben. Ein Dokumentarfilm zeigt: Dort ist dennoch nicht alles schwarz-weiß.
Model pursued by Avstig and The idea that white South Africans should concentrate in a limited region of South Africa was first circulated by the (SABRA) in 1966. By the 1970s, the SABRA advocated the idea of transforming South Africa into a commonwealth, where population groups would develop parallel to each other. May 1984 saw the establishment of the Afrikaner Volkswag, an organisation founded by, a right-wing academic, to put the ideas of the SABRA into practice. Boshoff regarded contemporary plans of the white-minority government to retain control through limited reforms as doomed to fail.
Believing that black-majority rule could not be avoided, he supported the creation of a separate, smaller state for the Afrikaner nation instead. In 1988 Boshoff founded the Afrikaner-Vryheidstigting (Afrikaner Freedom Foundation) or Avstig. At the time, mainstream right-wingers supported the policy, which allocated 13% of South Africa’s land area for black South Africans, while leaving the remaining 87% to whites. The founding principles of the Avstig were based on the belief that since black majority rule was unavoidable, and white minority rule morally unjustifiable, Afrikaners would have to form their own nation, or, in a smaller part of South Africa. Orania was intended to be the basis of the volkstaat, which would come into existence once a large number of Afrikaners moved to Orania and other such 'growth points', and would eventually include the towns of,,, and, reaching the west coast. Boshoff's plans excluded the area of traditional in the Transvaal and the Free State, which encompass the economic heartland of South Africa and much of its natural resources, instead focusing on an economically underdeveloped and semi-desert area in the north-western Cape. This desert state, Orandeë, because of its very inhospitableness would not be feared or coveted by the South African government.
Even proponents of the idea conceded that this model would demand significant economic sacrifices from Afrikaners who moved to the volkstaat. The model is based on the principle of 'own labour', requiring that all work in the volkstaat be performed by its citizens, including ploughing fields, collecting garbage and tending gardens, which is traditionally performed by blacks in the rest of South Africa. The town's original objective was to create an Afrikaner majority in the northwestern Cape, by encouraging the construction of other such towns, with the eventual goal of an Afrikaner majority in the area and an independent Afrikaner state between Orania and the west coast.
Boshoff had originally envisaged a population of 60,000 after 15 years. While he conceded that most Afrikaners might decide not to move to the volkstaat, he thought that it was essential Afrikaners have this option, since it would make them feel more secure, thereby reducing tensions in the rest of South Africa. Afrikanerstad concept [ ] A policy shift was announced in 2014. Acknowledging that early growth expectations had not been met, the town's chief executive argued that Orania should employ its limited resources to grow into a 'city' of around 50,000 inhabitants, though the ultimate objective remains self-determination. Urbanisation is deemed necessary to preserve cultural institutions, and deliver services to provide an adequate standard of living.
Carel Boshoff IV rejected the word ' volkstaat ', arguing that repeated use with no grounding in reality had led it to become an abstract term. While regarding an Afrikaner nation as desirable, he felt the word carried too much baggage, connected to unrealistic and anachronistic expectations. The vision of an Afrikanerstad was seen as a more effective way to achieve prosperity and decision-making power. The shift met with some resistance, as the Orania Movement was seen as straying away from its original goal.
History [ ] Early history [ ]. Map of Orania, showing the private entities owning the town's territory Orania has three residential areas: Kleingeluk ('small happiness'), Grootdorp ('big town') and Orania Wes ('Orania West'). Kleingeluk is a separate district about 1.5 kilometres (0.93 mi) from Grootdorp, and is poorer than the main town, although progress has been made in narrowing the gap in living conditions.
Leave a Reply.